Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Get rid of junk mail and protect your identity! Part 1 - Credit Card Offers

Not only is receiving 1-3 pre-approved credit card and insurance offers a day quite a nuisance, but it's also a big risk for identity theft. I can attest to this, as I had a credit card that was maxed out in my name for over six months before I knew about it...then it took about 2 months worth of phone
calls to clear up the situation. Trust me, it's not a fun way to spend your time.

The way to go about stopping the influx of these offers by going to OptOutPrescreen.com and choosing to opt-out of these type of mailings. The opt-out lasts for 5 years, then you'll have to renew, but with the way technology has been changing, a permanent option may be available by then. It really is as easy as just filling out the form and opting out. I did it two years ago and I was amazed that I was no longer receiving offers from vendors such as Capital One (who seemed to really like me), just a few occasional ones from American Express, but since I'm a cardholder through them it's to be expected.

Sign up today, you'll see quite a difference in the amount of junk mail you receive within a few weeks.

**NOTE: Make sure you choose the "Electronic Opt-Out for Five Years:" option...DO NOT choose to Opt-In!!**

Tomorrow, Part II.


Sign Up With Blockbuster, Get 50% Off First Month.
Discover Open Road